health: decreasing my risk.

If current trends continue, 100 percent of American adults will be overweight or obese by the year 2048. 
Stop Obesity Alliance
I want to lose weight. I have a lot to lose, so it's good that I want to lose it. The crazy thing about weight loss is that it's so damned simple and yet most people fail at it. There are a shit ton of crazy fad diets but the bottom line is that weight loss is simple math. Calories in, calories out. So why is it so difficult, then?

There's only one reason I'm fat: I eat too much and move too little. It's not genetics. I don't have big bones. I won't deny that there are people out there for which one of those statements might be true but it's not my truth. I eat junk and I eat too much of it.

Tuesdays will be about health. That might mean fitness, recipes, or just my ramblings on my progress at the time. Tuesdays will be about my journey to becoming the best me I can be, mentally and physically.


Today I wanted to just share a few startling facts about obesity in America. A major reason I want to lose weight is simply to be more comfortable in my own skin. To be able to physically do the things I want to do in life. Granted, I probably let my weight hold me back more than I should, and I don't believe that my self-worth is equivalent to the number on the scale. The mental aspect is something I'll be working on for the rest of my life, though, so back to today and the facts that go beyond how I feel. How about the big three:

  1. Increased risk for cancer.
  2. Increased risk for type 2 diabetes.
  3. Increased risk for coronary heart disease.
I don't want to just feel better. I want to be better. I want to know that I've done everything I can to live a long, healthy life. So, what am I going to do about it?

Other than blogging about it once a week, I'm going to start tracking my food. I downloaded the My Fitness Pal app to my phone months ago and I'm going to start using it. I'm going to start walking five times a week, 30 minutes a day. I'm not going to worry about speed or distance, I'm just going to focus on getting out there. For now, that's all. In a week or two I'll add in some strength training. I'll focus on whole foods and stay away from processed.

Sorry this isn't a very clever post, but I kind of needed this first one to be serious, you know?
It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not. James Gordon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...